Saturday, November 26, 2005

freeganism etc.

I had made a posting on "vanity." Someone pointed out to me the dictionary meaning of the word:

1 : something that is vain, empty, or valueless
2 : the quality or fact of being vain
3 : inflated pride in oneself or one's appearance : CONCEIT
4 : a fashionable trifle or knicknack
etc...


So I must clarify. I was talking about vanity in the first/second sense: something valueless (in some sense) that one ends up going for. Something one could have easily done without: the car, the camera, the large apartment. So maybe I should have used the word luxury. Or consumerism, perhaps.

As I said, it's a slippery slope. Just watching myself. Blogging it helps :-)

Meanwhile happened to catch two reports on BBC Worldservice, one about freegans and one on "Buy Nothing Christmas." Not quite up to the mark for the former, but the latter is all right.

No comments: